Log in

No account? Create an account
26 June 2008 @ 05:53 pm
Well, hopefully that's fixed  
I assembled my proof, drafted a brief "Dear Sir or Madam" letter and sent it off to the Illinois Department of Revenue today. At the last moment, I noticed the "Page 2" they wanted was page two of the form they sent me, not page two of my IL-1040, but I sent both along anywhere. It certainly can't hurt. We might still have to pay some penalties, since I legitimately forgot to include the W-2s in the tax return, but at least we won't have to pay $1000.

My father told me a story about one time the IRS sent him a letter saying that he had overpaid by $60 and they had deposited it back into his bank account. Not wanting to get screwed, he ran the numbers again and found that they were wrong, and sent them a letter telling so. They agreed, and then asked for the $60 back...plus $1.32 in interest for late payment.

Oh, bureaucracy.
Current Mood: apatheticapathetic
Current Music: Lothlorien - A-Souling